Since inception in 2007 Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary has been run by a Management Committee with the help of an Advisory Board since 2010.
The Advisory Board was made up of individuals who through their positions, experience, talents or qualifications were an important source of direction and support to the management of Eseltjiesrus to help build a secure and viable organisation. The members of the Advisory Board gave the Sanctuary fresh perspectives on a series of issues. The first Advisory Board meeting was held on Tuesday 28th September 2010.
In July 2012 the Advisory Board and the Management Committee were combined to form the new “Board of Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary” whose role is to:
- set overall policy;
- determine strategies and be part of the strategic planning;
- determine the annual budget including salary levels and conditions of service of senior management staff positions;
- take fiduciary responsibility for the organisation; and
- receive reports from the Executive Committee in terms of the above roles.
Non-executive Board Members:
Anthony Coombe - (Governance and Financial consultant, Past Managing Partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers Cape Town office and Past President of Cape Chamber of Commerce and Industry)
Lorna Fuller - (Director of Project 90 by 2030)
Carole Hambleton-Moser - (Past Chair of the Heart Charitable Investment Trust at Heart Capital and former Vice President & Head, Credit Suisse Representative Office, Cape Town)
Sarah Kvalsvig - (Lawyer and consultant at Cullinan and Associates Inc.)
Louise Matschke - (Education and Training Manager, Cape Town Environmental Education Trust)
Jim McNamara - (Past Chair of the Animal Welfare Society of South Africa and former Executive Director, Development and Alumni, University of Cape Town)
Mirah Ranchod - (Managing Director and Legal Practitioner at Erasmus Ranchod and Associates, Governess of the International School of Cape Town Board of Governors and the Main Trustee of the Sando Bursary Trust)
Andrea van Lille - (Chartered accountant with RGR Inc. in Robertson)
Marinda Weideman - (Independent Research and Development Consultant; Gender and Governance Advisor to the High Commission of Canada in South Africa; and Associate Author at Development Aid)
- Johan van Zijl - Co-Founder of Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary. Chairperson of the Eseltjiesrus Board.
In addition, the following members of the Executive Committee are Board members:
- Annemarie van Zijl - Co-Founder of Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary, Communication, Outreach & Advocacy Manager.
- Tony Saddington - Finance Manager, Chair of the Executive Committee & Secretary of the Board.
- Juanita Lourens - Donkey Care, Welfare and Farm Manager
- Leonard Jordaan - Visitor Centre Manager
Patron of Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary:
- David Kramer - South African singer, songwriter, playwright and director.